This Veggie Egg Strata Casserole is plethora of nutrients and delight. This recipe contains zucchini which most of us categorize as a vegetable but it is actually a fruit. Zucchini is loaded with pure goodness. It contains vitamin B1, B2, B6, calcium and potassium. It is also one of the best sources of dietary fiber your body can acquire. Tomatoes, along with zucchini are also recognized as a vegetable but they too are truly a fruit. Tomatoes are a superfood that go a step beyond nutrition. Their superpower is in their lycopene which helps prevent chronic diseases. Eat More Tomatoes!
There are a few reasons corn was added to this recipe. I just like trying things to see what works and it's awesome but not just for the taste and crisp crunch it added but especially for element of nutrition. Once corn is cooked the antioxidant levels are even greater.
And carrots aren't the only food to get credit for good eye health; cooked sweet corn promotes healthy eyesight as well. Corn is also rich in fiber and contains several vitamins.
A couple of fun facts about red and green bell peppers. As far as peppers go, red peppers contain the greatest amount of vitamin C. Although, one cup of diced green peppers succeed in giving us our daily requirement at 119 mg and we require about 80 mg of vitamin c per day. Impressive.
Last but certainly not least is the egg. Eggs are a high quality protein food. This includes the yolk! Don't throw that egg yolk out. Eggs also promote eye health as well as muscle strength and weight management.
What You'll Need:
- One carton of large eggs
- 2 cups shredded cheese divided ( I used fresh parmesan and medium cheddar )
- 1 medium zucchini cut into thirds then each third sliced into thin vertical pieces
- 1/2 green pepper diced
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ear of corn cooked then cut corn kernels off cob by standing the ear up vertically and sliding a sharp knife vertically all the way down the ear
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 2 pats butter
- Onion powder and pepper
How To Make It:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Spray an 8x11 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- While the veggies saute; crack eggs into a mixing bowl and add a couple splashes of milk or water then beat with a whisk until fully mixed and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat and add butter. When butter begins to sizzle but not burn add minced garlic and stir for one minute.
- Add all of the veggies except the corn to the skillet and saute for five minutes turning veggies every couple of minutes. After 5 minutes add the corn and cook for a couple of more minutes. Season with desired amount of onion powder and pepper.
- Now you will begin layering the ingredients into the baking dish.
- First layer the zucchini on bottom of your greased dish.
- Then sprinkle a layer of the diced veggies over the zucchini.
- Using a one cup measuring cup scoop out the egg mixture and pour one layer on top of the veggies.
- Sprinkle a layer of cheese.
- Repeat the process once more then add the tomatoes onto the top layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes then cover with foil and bake 15 minutes more.
Notes: For the corn I fill a pot with water and bring the water with corn to a boil. As soon as it reaches a boil I turn the heat off and cover with lid for 5 minutes then it's done. Perfect corn! You can garnish this strata with parsley if you like. You can also add hot sauce, Greek Yogurt or other spices you desire to try. Make it your own and enjoy!