This Sweet Potato and Black Bean Hash is a fun and delicious way to enjoy Sweet Potatoes in your diet during the Thanksgiving Holidays and on the regular throughout the year. Here are a few good reasons to eat them and to give them the respect they deserve.
When we think of Thanksgiving one food item that immediately comes to mind is Sweet Potatoes. But it looks like this orange spud should be thought of as the ultimate go to food for nutrition as well. The Center For Science In The Public Interest has given Sweet Potatoes the top spot ranking for nutritious vegetables. Pitted against other vegetables; comparisons were based on all of the wholesome attributes this vegetable has vs. the unhealthy qualities it contained less of. These sweet spuds got higher scores for complex carbohydrates, protein, naturally occurring sugars and vitamins A and C and contained less saturated fat, cholesterol, sodium, caffeine and refined sugar than other vegetables. On the latter note less is more and Sweet Potatoes are winning!!!
What You'll Need:
- 2 Tbl Olive Oil
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 15 oz can of black beans drained
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 large palmful cilantro, rinsed and rough chopped, set aside
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
How To Make It:
- In a large cast iron skillet heat olive oil on medium-high heat.
- Add sweet potatoes and let them cook in oil about 2 minutes then using a metal spatula flip potatoes to get both sides coated in oil and cook for 10 minutes. Do move potatoes around the pan with your spatula now and then to promote even cooking and avoid burning. If at any point the potatoes begin blackening or burning turn down flame a little.
- Flip potatoes again and cook another 10 minutes until all potatoes are somewhat crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. If potatoes don't seem quite ready then continue cooking a little longer
- Add onion and seasonings toward end of cooking time and mix in. Cook a few minutes more.
- Once they are done cooking garnish with cilantro and you can add a dollop of plain Greek yogurt to your serving.