Spinach is a powerhouse vegetable, rich in potassium, folate, beta-carotene, and many other nutrients. You can easily incorporate more spinach into your diet with tasty spinach salads. Here is one version.
1 10-ounce package or large bunch fresh spinach, rinsed well and cut up
Optional: 1 cup sliced mushrooms; 2 fresh tomatoes, cut into wedges; 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced; 1/2 cupbroken walnuts
Sweet and Spicy Dressing
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt, as desired
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- Place the spinach in a salad bowl (combine with the mushrooms and tomatoes, as desired).
- In a jar combine the olive oil, vinegar, sugar, salt, and ketchup. Cover and shake until well blended.
- Pour the dressing over the salad; toss well, then garnish with eggs and walnuts, as desired.
Yield: 4 large salads
Nutrition Information: 480 total calories; 120 calories per serving; 7 g carbohydrate; 2 g protein; 9 g fat
Special diets: Vegetarian, gluten free, dairy free, vegan
For more soccer player specific recipes, download Nancy Clark’s Recipes for Athletes App