As the saying goes "Everything in Moderation" and that can certainly apply here with this sinfully delicious lasagna. Lasagna doesn't exactly have a reputation for being healthy but it deserves much more credit than to be known as comfort food. So let's look at it in a new perspective. Let's talk cheese! Ricotta Cheese is an expected ingredient in lasagna recipes. Known for it's creamy luxurious texture but did you know it is a complete protein containing all of the amino acids our bodies need. This recipe also includes cottage cheese which like Ricotta has all of the essential amino acids to deem it a complete protein. That's pretty cool! Three cheers for cheese! Go Cheese!!!
What you'll need:
- One box lasagna noodles. You will use 12 noodles
- 16 oz part skim Ricotta
- 5 oz block fresh parmesan (grate yourself)
- 1 lb mozzarella
- 16 oz cottage cheese
- 2 eggs beaten
- 3 - 10 oz cans rotel tomatoes with diced green chilies (do not drain). This will be spicy so you can use with or with out chilies or a combination of both
- 2 - 6 oz cans tomatoes paste
- 1 palmful of fresh basil rinsed and chopped
- 2 TBL brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 TBL dried parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 Lbs ground chuck
- 8 oz ground Italian Sausage
- 3/4 cup powdered parmesan
How To Make It:
- Preheat oven to 375
- Fill a large pot 3/4 of the way with salted water and bring to a boil. Boil noodles according to package directions. When done boiling, drain and immediately remove noodles placing them singly onto two baking sheets that have been lightly coated with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet cook ground chuck, Italian Sausage, onion and garlic together til meat is cooked all the way through and drain grease.
- To the meat mixture add brown sugar, basil, salt, oregano, diced tomatoes and tomato paste and simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally
- While simmering make cheese mixture. In a mixing bowl stir in together the Ricotta, cottage cheese, parmesan cheese, eggs and parsley and set aside
- Take a 9x13 baking dish and add a light layer of the meat mixture on the bottom of the pan. Then layer 4 noodles on bottom of pan. Spread 1/2 cheese mixture across the first layer of noodles. Then spread 1/2 the mozzarella, 1/3 of the sauce goes on top of that. Repeat that whole process beginning with a another layer of noodles. Then finally put down a third layer of noodles, then mozzarella then the rest of the meat sauce then cover top with powdered parmesan. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes then serve. Simply delicious!