Simple spicy Lo Mein. This simple pasta dish is just what an athlete needs to obtain good carbohydrates and lasting energy. Here we used whole grain pasta which is a complex carbohydrate. Good carbs vs. bad carbs. Simple carbs which are unhealthy carbs such as those found in sweetened beverages, sugary cereals and cookies give us a quick energy spike but quickly wear off and wear us down. Pasta is a complex carb which is a good thing but white pasta also behaves like a simple carb in our bodies so the solution is whole grain pasta! Whole grain pasta is a complex carb which digests slowly and releases energy in our body at a steady pace. This slow digestion process also helps a great deal with weight loss because we feel fuller longer. Another interesting health benefit is the use of Sriracha in this recipe. The capsaicin which is in the red peppers used to make Sririacha also helps in achieving weight loss and gives our metabolism a boost. The elements of these ingredients accompanied with the vitamins and minerals in the veggies in this recipe make it an excellent choice in getting ready to perform on the pitch.
What You'll Need:
- 1 Red bell pepper sliced in long thin slices
- 1 Large handful of sugar snap peas
- 1 Large carrot peeled and sliced julienne
- 2 Large handfuls of spinach rinsed
- 4 oz mushrooms rinsed and sliced
- 2 Cloves garlic minced
- 2 TBL olive oil
- 8 oz whole grain vermicelli noodles
For The Sauce:
- 2 TBL soy sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 sriracha
- 1 tsp sesame oil
How To Make It:
- In a small bowl mix all ingredients for the sauce together and set aside
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and follow package cooking instructions for vermicelli
- While vermicelli cooks; add olive to a large pan or skillet and bring to medium high heat. Add the carrots, garlic, red pepper and mushrooms, stir and cook for a few minutes then add spinach and snap peas cooking a few minutes longer then remove from heat.
- Add sauce to vegetables then add vermicelli noodles to that and gently mix then serve!