The star of this show is the Chickpea! This little guy has protein and fiber which make our bodies rock. Chickpeas contain amino acids that we need to maintain healthy body tissues. Keep in mind that this is an incomplete protein source so it doesn't house all of the amino acids we need. Pair it with other foods such as whole grains, eggs, dairy, nuts or meat to make a complete protein and you will be set to get that body working properly. Chickpeas are also a fiber rich food. Fiber rich foods are awesome because they help maintain healthy blood sugar levels. Fiber is able to achieve this by slowing down the digestion process so you aren't as susceptible to a spike in your blood sugar levels causing the crash and burn from fatigue. This is a feel good recipe that you can have as a quick snack or a light lunch.
What You'll Need:
- 2 10 oz cans of garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- Small red onion - dice about three or four slices of the onion
- 4 garlic cloves roasted
- 2 fistfuls of cherry tomatoes rinsed and cut in halves
- A fistful of cilantro
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 3 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
How To Make It:
- Preheat oven to 350. Cut the top off of an entire head of garlic. Place garlic in foil lightly covering the exposed garlic you cut off with olive oil and seal tight with the foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Set aside to cool then pop cloves out their shell and mash with a spoon.
- While the garlic process is happening drain the chickpeas and add to a mixing bowl.
- Rinse tomatoes and cilantro and dice and slice then add to mixing bowl.
- Dice the red onion and add to bowl.
- Add tomatoes and mashed garlic.
- Now add the Lemon juice and olive oil. Salt and pepper to your liking.
- Mix ingredients together and chill in fridge for an hour or so to let everything marinate then serve!