This recipe will impress at the family holiday brunch table while being mindful of nutrition. You will have an elegant quiche that is simple to make. Some fun facts about the ingredients: Using Swiss cheese is very helpful in cutting back on calories because it's a low fat cheese. It also has 54 mg of sodium per ounce compared to cheddar which has 176 mg per once. It also contains high amounts of phosphorous which is great for your bones. Speaking of keeping of our bones healthy especially for athletes; one cup of Asparagus gives us 115% of our daily requirement of vitamin K which is crucial for optimal bone health. Using whole milk cuts the calories in half as opposed to using half and half and if you want to cut calories further you can use skim milk but let's have a little bit of fun it's the holidays!
What You'll Need:
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Leek trimmed, sliced and rinsed
- 1 lb of Asparagus
- 1 1/4 cup whole milk
- 4 oz grated Swiss Cheese
- 1 9 inch refrigerated pie crust
- A pinch of cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 9" pie baking dish
How To Make It:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Take the pie crust out of the box and let it rest on counter at room temperature for 20 minutes. Do not unroll for 20 minutes
- Take your asparagus and rinse then trim the woody end cutting about an inch away then slice on the diagonal making 1 inch slices
- Take your Leek and cut off root end. Then cut off the top where it turns dark green and kind of leafy. You only want the light green stalk and white end. Slice stalk in half vertically down the middle then slice horizontally up the stalks like you would celery and throw all of the sliced Leeks into a bowl full of water and swish around to release any dirt then remove from water and place on paper towels to dry.
- Put a pat of butter in a large skillet over medium heat and when butter has melted add the Asparagus and Leeks and saute' for about 8 minutes and set pan aside
- While the veggies saute' crack all the eggs into a mixing bowl and add the milk and the spices then whisk well
- Open your pie crust and place in the pie dish and pinch the edges around the top of crust
- Spread your grated Swiss across the bottom of the crust then place your vegetables on top of the cheese. Now pour egg mixture over the top of the viggies.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes and when middle is set your quiche done. Let it cool for about 5 minutes and cut and serve!