From Juliet Hudson, soccer mom expert and foodie
It proves to be challenging at times to please our taste buds when trying to eat healthy. Let's give it the old college try with this Asparagus Goat Cheese Quesadilla! It overflows with tangy rich flavor and deliciousness along with some killer health benefits.
Fun Facts about the ingredients: Goats milk is a magical thing. It has less fat and less calories than the usual dairy products plus more protein! All around, calcium gives us more brain power too; a definite plus when quick thinking is needed on the pitch. Calcium has also been proven to help burn fat after meals. Asparagus is one the top super foods to consume. It is super low in calories, has no fat, contains B vitamins which help regulate blood sugar levels and Vitamin K for bone strength. The insoluble fiber these spears contain will help remove from our bodies the cancer causing byproducts leftover from the foods we eat. Insoluble fiber keeps us fuller longer due to it's slower digestion which helps keep weight under control. Pecans decrease bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol in our bloodstream. They are a good source of energy and such a phenomenal source of minerals and vitamins E and B complexes that just a handful of Pecans serves your body well. You won't miss a bit of flavor in this killer Quesadilla!
What you'll need:
- 1 garlic cloves
- 1 10" whole wheat tortilla
- 2 oz soft goat cheese
- 1/2 c mozzarella
- 1/4 c pecans roasted
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 lb asparagus roasted
- Handful of cilantro rinsed, dried and rough chopped
- 1 tbl olive oil
- Salt pepper
- Large cast iron skillet
- 9x13 baking pan
- Another small baking sheet for pecans
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Rinse and pat dry asparagus
- Place asparagus on baking sheet
- Drizzle 1 tbl of olive oil over asparagus
- Dice garlic cloves and sprinkle over asparagus as well as salt and pepper to your liking and roast in oven for about 15 minutes
2) Put the pecans on another baking sheet and put in the oven for the last 5 minutes of baking time for the asparagus
- Once asparagus finishes roasting remove pans from oven and let cool for a minute then cut into 1 inch pieces and set aside
- Give the pecans a rough chop
3) Add 2 oz of goat cheese to a small bowl and mix in the lemon juice
- Spread the goat cheese mixture over entire tortilla
- Then on 1/2 of the tortilla sprinkle some of mozzarella over the goat cheese
- Now add half of the roasted asparagus and sprinkle half of the roasted pecans over the asparagus followed by another layer of mozzarella. Sprinkle some of the cilantro over that then fold the other half of the tortilla over
4) Place tortilla in skillet over medium heat for about 1 minute when the tortillas begins to brown but not burn then flip and continue to cook for another minute. Enjoy!
Tip: I keep my skillet dry adding no butter or olive oil to cook my tortilla which is just my personal choice to keep calories down. You can add a little olive oil or butter to the pan before adding your tortilla.