From Juliet Hudson, soccer mom expert and foodie
This Enchilada Casserole is a total Rock Star! Not only will this simple recipe taste like a professional chef made it but it's loaded with nutrients. Once prepared you will have your next 4 meals. Some bonuses about the ingredients; corn tortillas have tons of fiber and magnesium and are lower in sugar and fat compared to flour tortillas. Magnesium is awesome for building healthy muscles. Spinach provides iron and protein for healthy bones and the high potassium levels in spinach help neutralize the effect of sodium in the body which causes high blood pressure. Pinto Beans are a low fat fiber champion! The high fiber in pinto beans help lower cholesterol and keep your blood sugar levels from rising too rapidly after eating. Also, a killer source of vitamins B1 and B6 with minerals magnesium, potassium and iron. Let's give this recipe a W for WIN!
What you'll need:
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 1 15 oz can Pinto Beans
- 1 cup salsa of your choice
- 1 10 oz bag of spinach
- 1 cup of cilantro rinsed and patted dry
- 4 scallions chopped
- 2 cups of shredded cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Non Stick cooking Spray
- Food Processor
- Glass 8x8 baking dish
Note: I used All Natural Nuevo Tex-Mex Salpica Taco Truck Stop Salsa Roja. Rich in authentic flavor! I also used a mixture of Pinto Beans and Kidney Beans. Pepper Jack Cheese was my choice which sent this recipe to the moon and back for for me! You can double this recipe and use a 9x13 dish. You've got the basics and can make this recipe yours.
- Preheat your oven to 425. Take a couple handfuls of your prewashed spinach and add to food processor then add some of the scallion, cilantro and a pinch of that salt and pulse til pureed. Set aside in a small bowl. You will do this a couple of times as all of the spinach won't fit at once. Once you are done pureeing all of the spinach you are ready to begin layering the casserole.
- Lightly spray baking dish. Layer and overlap 4 corn tortillas in bottom of dish. Put half the beans over the tortillas. Spread 1/2 the salsa over the beans then spread 1/2 the spinach puree over that. Now the sprinkle 1/2 the cheese over that. Now begin another layer of corn tortillas and repeat the process again.
- Cover the dish with foil. Put into your preheated oven for 25 minutes then remove the foil and bake another 15 minutes. After the dish cools about 10 minutes you can have an incredibly delicious and very healthy meal.
- Let's Eat!!!