The following session comes from Jay Miller and was presented at the 2016 Soccer Champions Coaches' Clinic. Find out more about the Soccer Champions Coaches' Clinic.
Theme: (Short / Intermediate Passing) Possession
Warm up - Create as many passes as possible
Opposite line series
Organization: 2 lines of players facing each other 10 yds apart
Procedure: 2 touch follow your pass (create a slight angle), 1 touch follow your pass, 2 touch play and spin, 1 touch play and spin
Organization: 10yd x 10yd square, 5 players for each square
Procedure: repeat the pattern illustrated in the diagram, 2 touch, give it and get it, 1 touch reverse the direction on coach's whistle
"DO THE SIMPLE THINGS PERFECT EVERY TIME"
Pattern series (short passes / Intermediate passes)
- Place 2 players at each position as shown in the diagram
- The length of the pattern area is 30 yds
- The ball is passed counter clockwise around the 4 positions. Players rotate the same direction after passing
- Options: 2 touch, 1 touch, give it and get it
- Check away and back to receive the pass
- Train as if you are in a live game
Possession 5 v 5 + 2 (Field 50 yds x 35 yds)
- 5 players on each team + 2 neutral players
- 10 uninterrupted passes = 1 pt.
- Players 3 touch, neutral players 2 touch. Progress to 2 touch, neutral players 1 touch
- Later add small goals: Scoring: 8 passes = 1 pt, goal = 1 pt.
- Place players in a shape comparable to their 11 aside positions
- Stress maintaining a good team shape
- Position your body open to the field
- Whenever possible play in the direction you are facing
6 v 6 + GKs to large goals
- Field: 55 yds x 50 yds, 2 large goal
- Players 6 per team
- Goal = 1 pt.
- 3 touch
- Free play
- Maintain a good team shape. Play quickly
- The object is to score (always have shooting in mind)