This session was presented at the 2017 Soccer Champions Coaches' Clinic by Sigi Schmid. Find out more about the Soccer Champions Coaches' Clinic.
WU "Y" Shape Passing Exercise
- Cones set up in a "Y" shape with two players on each cone except one at the middle cone
- Sequence #1 - Ball starts with player #1 who plays a pass to #2 who opens up off the cone, receives and then passes to #3. #3 collects and dribbles back to end of the starting line.
- Players follow their pass and move up one spot on the rotation.
- Next passing sequence goes up the left side and then alternates left and right side practice.
- Sequence #2 - 1st pass goes into #2 then back to #1 then up to #3 who then plays a 1-2 pass off #2 and then dribbles to the end of the start line.
- Sequence #3 - 1st pass to #2 then back to #1 then up to #3 who plays back to #2, at this point #4 runs through and receives pass from #2. The final run is forward not back to starting point.
- Sequence #4 - 1st pass to #2 then back to #1 then up to #3 , at this point #3 plays a wall pass to #4
Small Sided Game: 6 v 6 + 2N to 2 goals
- The teams play 8 v 6 possession in the middle area trying to penetrate the endzone they are attacking using combination play.
- If a team breaks into the zone then defenders do not enter and the player has 2 touches to finish on small goals.
- At this point the defending team receives a ball and attacks the other end playing 8 v 5 while the 6th defender tries to recover. Emphasis on quick combination play.
- Neutral players cannot make final runs into end zone, they are supporting players in the middle zone.
Expanded Small Sided Game: 8 v 6 + GK with 2 counter goals
The 8 attack the large goal and try to unbalance the defense and use combination play to get behind and penetrate. Possible touch restriction to encourage combination play.
The 6 defend and when they win the ball try to attack the 2 small goals. They have unlimited touches and want to use quick combination play to get forward.