The following session comes from Julie Foudy and Tony DiCicco and was presented at the 2016 Soccer Champions Coaches' Clinic.
Developing Midfielders in Attacking Play Warm-Up
- Groups of 4 passing in a 4x4 grid
- Move to vertical organization to create lay-off pass and quick support movements
- Taking looks to increase range of play
- Support movements to improve speed of play
- Passing technique
Warm-up 2: Passing through disks 8 yards apart
- Receive wide, pass through cones, change lines
- Receive wide, spin turn and pass through
- Receive wide, spin turn, 1-2 to get in
Patterns of Play to get in behind the defense - 4 players (CF - Wing Forward - 2 Center Midfielders)
Pattern 1: MF plays to WF and overlaps, WF plays to CF who plays to CF who plays MF in.
Pattern 2: MF plays to CF; WF supports centrally and play MF making a vertical run in behind. CF makes bent run to get in also.
Pattern 3: MF plays to WF. WF plays to CF who 1-2s with MF to get in.
Change of Point Game - 4 or 6 goal game played
Reinforce the role of the CF to change the point to weak side to create space for personality players or number-up situations. Also encourage double-change.
Add Restriction - Divide field into thirds. In outside thirds no touch restriction. In middle third 2 touch restriction.