The following drill comes from Tony DiCicco and was presented at the Soccer Champions Coaches' Clinic. Find out more about the Soccer Champions Coaches' Clinic.
This exercise can be done with small goals or big goals. Field Size should be 30 yards long and 40 yards wide. Adjust defending on age of players.
This game is a flying attacking game which means as soon as the play is done, an attacker from the opposing team is running with the ball (speed dribbling) to score on either goal and the attacker from the previous play and other team must now become the defender and chase the attacker.
Can also play this flying 2v2.
Dribbler can attack either goal and score as soon as the ball is dead, dribbler from the opposite team runs with the ball and goes to either goal. Play for 3 minutes or 5 goals to determine a winner. Keepers need to call "KEEPER" to avoid being tackled by strikers.
Key Coaching Points
- Encourage deception, going to one goal but then reversing and going to other goal
- Coach Finishing 1v1 on a keeper. Shoot with power, pass the ball in, bend it or chip it are all options for the striker
- Coach the keeper on dealing with breakaways:
- Win the ball before the shot on an over-dribble
- Smother the shot off the striker's foot as the ball is shot
- Concede possession, continue to close under control and be ready for the next touch which will be either a shot or a dribble.